Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The slow return to "normal"

The past 2 weeks have been the most difficult weeks for me in my few years of breeding. I am not ashamed to admit that I fell victim to an outbreak of Parvo, more so my poor puppies fell victim to this horrendous and highly contagious disease. Since the first verified case my days have been filled with bleaching beyond belief, confusing research, phone calls to anyone I knew who would have advice, and tears, more emotions than I have felt in a long time.
Finding information on parvo has become a cat-and-mouse hunt, of course there is an overload of information online, however finding CREDIBLE sources can be mind-numbing. I ran across a breeder here in North Carolina who spoke of her experience with the deadly disease, her trials and errors and her solution. Now I am looking into making the switch to Neopar vaccines and a different 5 way booster. Even on Neopar there is contradictory opinions, some say it works, some say it weakens the immune system when given before weaning. Honestly, I am in limbo on any decision, and for some reason no vet will give their opinion. I feel that I should do everything, anything, possible to prevent this from ever happening again.
Through this loss I think I have been given a wake up call, that things have to change again. Of course I keep my pets clean, my house clean, etc, BUT now I am more aware of the seriousness of bacteria and viruses. How easily transmittable these dangerous little things can be, and the devastating effects they have on small puppies.
By God's grace I have not had a case of parvo in any of my bloodhound puppies, nor in any of the other yorkie puppies who have left. I notified everyone of the issue in time for some to be tested, and I think I caught it early enough to completely isolate those at risk.

My will to continue breeding was also called into question during this time, I just did not know if I could handle it anymore. I love my dogs so dearly, I can't imagine life without them. I have had more times than bad in working with my yorkies, so I think this is what keeps me going.

A final thing the other breeder told me is that most breeders will never admit to having had parvo. I find this unsettling. The disease is rampant, nearly uncontrollable, and surely most people who do any work with dogs have ran across it before. Why not be honest? Why not work to educate on the disease and on ways to overcome it? I, for one, have decided to never become like that.

IN OTHER NEWS:

We do have good times here. I feel so blessed to have been able to secure such great new homes for my bloodhound puppies. All have been seen off except for Jessie, who will stay here until next Tuesday. I am overjoyed and so proud of my first litter of bloodhounds. I want to do another litter, however that may not be for another 2 years. (I enjoy Lucy more as a pet.... I've missed her since she has been so wrapped up in her babies).

Our newest girl, Ella, is pregnant, she is starting to show! I am so anxious to see her new puppies, she is a beautiful and sweet girl.

We purchased a new stud, from Shirley Bovay at Fantasy Yorkies. Jasper, he is a parti-carrier, however we do not plan on doing parti-yorkies just yet. I'd need a couple of years to prepare myself for that venture. Lisa Whitaker will be co-owning and keeping him, (Georgie will be much happier this way, he loves to be the "man" of the house).

Also, my crazy girl Anna is in heat. I am back and forth on whether to breed her or not. She is a wonderful mother, had no complications her first litter, however I want to make sure I can devote enough time and attention to each litter from here on.

Finally, I am trying out a new supplement vitamin, Nuvet. I was referred to it by the lady who picked up Glory, and I am pretty excited to see how well it does for my dogs. If it can cure hyperactivity disorder in Lucy I will be sold ;)

Time to get back to work. Grooming day is today, and Georgie managed to get straw entangled in his top knot. I blame it on him, but more than likely it was Lucy!

Have a blessed day everyone. We are pulling up our bootstraps here, and cleaning up after the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment