Wednesday, June 9, 2010

First attempts at puppy cuts!

This morning has been eventful. All my yorkies needed baths today, and with the weather being so hot I decided to try and give puppy cuts. Now in the past I have halfway given these to the mommies before they have puppies, but usually ended up with scissors just cutting off the length of their coat. I prefer a long coat on my yorkies, but I gave in to my husband's begging and wanted to surprise him as well with this. I've also noticed the dogs seem to feel better with shorter coats.
The first subject was Katy. Her coat was floor length, so at first I was shy. Using a 1" blade I managed to give her a great cut, but the head and face are always a problem. She is particularly fidgety. Somehow I pulled it off! I posted pics of her on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/stephanie.duke2
So I was brave... next was Daphne. She had a medium length coat, very straight and pretty full. She is stubborn, just like her mom, Daisy. The entire time she insisted on laying on her stomach with her feet tucked tightly underneath of her. Which proved to be an issue when I needed to do her legs and underbelly. I managed to hold her in one hand while accomplishing this task. Her face and bangs turned out a bit shorter than I had wanted, but both were a good shape and straight cut.
I surprised myself with these 2 girls, so heading in to pick up Georgie I felt I could do even better with him. Georgie is very docile when being groomed, he is so used to the process because he manages to require a bath every 3 or 4 days. Being the man that he is I guess.

Now this was truly my grand finale.

I started with his head, because I always had kept his hair on top long enough to put in a top knot.
As soon as I opened to scissors to make the first cut, Anna set herself into a frenzy of barking. Now Anna is in heat, and Georgie is besides himself to be with her. So my scissors, already halfway through the front top, took a turn for the worst with the movement of his head.
Half way up his left eye to his ear, all the hair, GONE!

Needless to say, Georgie refused to remain still the rest of the session. I attempted to even out the top of his hair, on the right side. I did, but it made the cut look no less ridiculous. He now resembles a poodle. I gave in to the call of the hair clippers and shaved off what remained on the top to an even length in hopes that it would grow out even (and FAST!)

So now I am finished for today. I can't wait to see my husband's response to Georgie tonight, although I had intended for a happy surprise, it may now be a "what happened"?!

This just goes to show that when you think you understand your pets, they will prove you wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment